REMINDER for Marin County property owners who have illegal second units should consider taking advantage of the ‘Marin County Second Unit Amnesty’ Program before it expires on 12/31/2008. The goal of the Amnesty program is to ensure the safe and habitable dwelling conditions for the 2nd units with incentive of reduction of up to 50% all permit fees for units that fit the requirements.
The following are required along with the application:
- Completed ‘Zoning/Development Application’
- The 2nd unit was in existence prior to June 2003
- Owner needs to complete a Uniform Housing Code Inspection
- Five sets of plans, including
- Site plan showing property lines, location of main residence and 2nd unit and location of parking space
- Accurately scaled floor plan for main and 2nd unit.
- Second unit size must be between 220 and 750 sf – limited exceptions can be made for units that are between 750 and 1,000 sf.
- Proof that owner resides in either the main unit or the 2nd unit
Following are required before permits can be issued.
- Complete property inspection by fire department to identify minimum fire safe requirements and fees
- Confirm water and sewer service requirements, including septic sewer disposal system requirements if applicable
Please Visit the Marin County Community Development Agency’s public information counter at the Civic Center – Room 308, San Rafael, California, Monday through Friday (closed holidays), 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., or call (415) 499-6269.
For additional information contact the following staff and state that you are interested in the Second Unit Amnesty Program Division Liaisons:
- Planning – Kristina Tierney 473-4333
- Building – Larry Grace 499-6550
- Environmental Health – Janet Mullin 499-6273
- Department of Public – Works Berenice Davidson 499-3770
- General Amnesty information – Stacey Laumann 507-2698
- Fire – Scott Alber 499-6566
MARIN, SONOMA, S.F. BAY AREA REAL ESTATE – Beveldere, Corte Madera, Greenbrae, Kentfield, Larkspur, Marinwood, Mill Valley, Novato, San Anselmo, San Rafael, Sausalito, Tiburon; Cotati, Penngrove, Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa. Starter Home to Luxury Property. REO (Bank Owned), Short Sale, View Homes, Architecural Distictive Homes. Investment, 1031 Exchange.